Policy Number: 3.500
Date Adopted: January 1, 1991
Pursuant to Act No. 103 of the 1973 General Assembly, and Amendment No. 52 to the constitution of the State of Arkansas, the Board of the National Park Community College hereby adopts the following By-Laws.
The officers of the National Park Community College Board shall be a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson, and a Secretary/Treasurer. Election of officers shall be held at the regular annual meeting in January. The terms of office shall be for a period of one year. If any office shall become vacant by reason of death, resignation, or any other cause, the Board shall elect a successor to hold office for the unexpired term.
The duties of the officers are as follows:
- The Chairperson shall preside at the meetings of the Board of Trustees, appoint appropriate committees, sign legal documents, serve as an ex-officio member on the Board of Governors of the Foundation , and perform other such duties as may properly pertain to this office.
- The Vice Chairperson shall preside at meetings in the absence of the Chairperson, serve as an ex-officio member on the Board of Governors of the Foundation, and shall perform other duties as designated by the Board.
- The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for ensuring that accurate and complete minutes of the meetings of the Board of Trustees, are maintained containing a record of all resolutions adopted by the Board, shall have published all legal notices, and perform all other such duties as may be prescribed. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be the keeper of the seal of the College. The Secretary/Treasurer shall also have prepared a monthly finance report, shall have prepared an annual budget, and shall see that all funds are deposited in a depository designated by the Board.
The National Park Community College Board of Trustees shall follow the procedures outlined in the Bylaws regarding the following meetings:
- An annual meeting will be held the fourth Wednesday in January of each year at 3:00 p.m. in the College Board Room or at another place or time as designated by members of the Board. The Board will determine a regular date, time, and place for monthly meetings, to be altered only when necessary and when agreed upon by the Board.
- An agenda for each regular meeting shall be prepared by the Chairperson and distributed to Board members and the news media at least two days prior to the date of the meeting. Nothing herein shall preclude the Board from considering any matter not on the agenda, if a majority agrees. However, the Board has no obligation to take official action on any matter not on the agenda until the next meeting of the Board.
- Special meetings may be called by the Chairperson. Actions taken at such special meetings shall have the same effect as those taken at regular meetings. Members of the Board shall be notified promptly for called meetings. Media representatives will also be notified as soon as possible with a minimum of two hours notice prior to the meetings (as required by law).
- Executive sessions may be held for the purpose of discussing personnel matters. If the employee involved wishes, the employee may elect an open meeting. No resolution considered or arrived at in executive session will be legal unless, following the executive session, the Board reconvenes in public session and presents and votes on such resolution.
A majority of the members of the Board shall constitute a quorum and a majority of the members present at a meeting shall govern. The Board will act in accordance with the rules of parliamentary procedure contained in ROBERT'S RULES OF ORDER (Revised).
The monthly agenda may contain the following items of business:
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Introduction of guests
- Approval of minutes of previous meeting(s)
- Old Business
- Committee Reports
- Ratification of Personnel
- Special Reports
- New Business
- Faculty Communication
If possible, all resolutions or recommendations requiring Board action should be submitted in writing.
Meetings of the Board shall be open to the public. It is recommended that groups or individuals wishing to appear before the Board first contact the President of the College, regarding the nature of the request. If necessary, the President will contact the Chairperson of the Board to place the item on the agenda. It is recommended that such requests be made at least three days prior to the Board meeting.
At various times the chairperson of the Board of Trustees may appoint committees, both temporary and/or standing committees. Past committees have included the Presidential Search Committee, Site Selection Committee, Building Committee, Budget Committee, Long-Range Planning Committee, and The Higher Learning Commission (NCA) Steering Committee.
Current committees are the Budget and Finance Committee and the Building and Campus Development Committee.