6.500 Academic Clemency
Policy Number: 6.500
Subject: Academic Clemency
Date Adopted: March 25, 1992
Act 1000 of 1991 describes academic clemency as a second opportunity for undergraduate students who performed poorly at some point in their studies and who wish to return to college after having gained a new appreciation of the benefits of higher education.
Institutional Policy at National Park Community College is in compliance with Act 1000 and guidelines adopted by the State Board of Higher Education.
- Academic clemency may be granted by the Vice President for Instruction to returning students who have not been enrolled in any college or university for two calendar years, and who now demonstrate the commitment to succeed academically.
- Students may request clemency for course work at NPC for one semester only.
- The original grades for the requested clemency semester will remain on the student's transcript. However, the GPA will be 0.00 for that semester regardless of the grades earned. No credits, for the requested clemency semester, will count toward graduation requirements. Courses passed during that semester need not be repeated, however, a sufficient number of additional credits must be earned to meet graduation requirements. The student's transcript is a comprehensive academic record. Notation will be placed on the transcript to show that academic clemency has been granted. This information cannot be removed and will become part of the student's permanent record.
- Since the student's GPA will have to be recalculated by the Registrar from the time that academic clemency is granted, there is a $25 fee.
- Students seeking academic clemency must submit a written request and have a review conference with the Vice President for Instruction. The request, signed by both parties, will become part of the student's permanent record.
- Under State Board of Higher Education guidelines, no post-secondary institution is required to honor academic clemency granted by another institution. However, students who receive academic clemency at NPC and plan to transfer should be allowed to petition for academic clemency under the provisions established by the receiving institution.
- In the case of transfer students to NPC, the college will honor academic clemency allowed by any accredited college/university for admission purposes. But in the interest of consistent application of policy, the chief academic officer will treat the academic clemency as if it had been granted at NPC for graduation purposes.
- This institutional policy became effective July 1, 1992.